PE & Sports Premium
PE and Sports Premium
Most schools with primary-age pupils receive the PE and sport premium, including:
• schools maintained by the local authority
• academies and free schools
• special schools (for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
• non-maintained special schools (schools for children with special educational needs that the Secretary of State for Education has approved under section 342 of the Education Act 1996)
• city technology colleges (CTCs)
• Pupil referral units (PRUs provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school).
• general hospitals
How the funding is calculated:
Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6.
In cases where schools don’t follow year groups (for example, in some special schools), pupils aged 5 to 10 attract the funding.
In most cases, we determine how many pupils in your school attract the funding using data from the school census.
Schools with 16 or fewer eligible pupils receive £1,000 per pupil.
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.